We provide rehabilitation for a variety of soft-tissue injuries and health-related conditions including: Motor Vehicle Accidents, over-use injuries, lumbar disc herniation, Osteoporosis, Diabetes, aquatic therapy for arthritis, and re-activation programs relating to chronic pain or fatigue. Each condition has special considerations that Personal Trainers and Weight Room Instructors do not have the knowledge to assist you with and are outside of their scope of practise and insurance. Also, many people get into cycles of either doing too little physical activity or too much, which makes their condition worse.
How Can You Benefit From Kinesiology?
- Healthier daily living
- Reduced incidence of disease and injury
- Reduced incidence of pain and discomfort
- A better understanding of how your body works
- Faster recovery from injury
- Better work, exercise, and sport performance
BCAK Practicing Kinesiologists Are:
- Professionals who have obtained a 4 year university degree in Human Kinetics or Kinesiology from accredited, recognized universities such as SFU, UBC and University of Alberta and Windsor. They can be either a bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree.
- Able to assess human movement, performance, and function by applying the science of biomechanics, anatomy, physiology, and psychomotor behaviour.
- Involved in the rehabilitation, prevention, and management of disorders to maintain, rehabilitate, or enhance movement, function or performance in the areas of sport, recreation, work, and exercise.
- Professionals who provide consulting services and develop policies related to rehabilitation, ergonomics, and occupational health and safety. They belong to the British Columbia Association of Kinesiologists (BCAK) and abide by the rules and regulations of that association.
Kinesiologists are trained in large, accredited universities all over the world that employ science and peer-reviewed, evidence-based methods in research and practical application just as other disciplines in the medical field.
Insurance Coverage: Kinesiology is usually covered by ICBC if you still have a claim open from a motor vehicle accident. There are some situations where ICBC may not fund a treatment program for kinesiology, so it is best for you to contact them to discuss your particular situation before you attend treatment. You will need a doctor’s referral for an active rehabilitation program by a kinesiologist.
Many extended health plans now offer a global health spending accounts fund that makes you eligible for various services including Kinesiology. You are recommended to check with your provider in advance to find out about specific treatments that fall under their guidelines.
CSEP is a Network Member of ACSM’s campaign to prevent metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease and is committed to supporting the guiding principles of Exercise is Medicine™ which promotes exercise prescription by family physicians.
How to get Extended Health coverage for kinesiology services.
The type of coverage depends to a large extent on what services the employees want. If there is a desire from management and the employees for active, exercise-based rehabilitation or prevention of diseases such as diabetes, high-blood pressure and other metabolic conditions, then the employer can negotiate kinesiology or exercise physiology (CSEP) services into their extended health plans.
What you can do.
Contact your employer and ask for kinesiology services to be covered during the next policy review. You can also contact us at (604) 467-4675 for any additional information.